Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Advice for Men

Well, it's just after 11am in Denmark on December 21, 2012, and so far the world hasn't come to an end.

So, that's good.

Since it seems pretty likely that Christmas is, in fact, coming this year, and those of you who were banking on the End Times may have some last second holiday shopping to do, let me offer up a tiny bit of holiday advice.

Now, I don't know if women do this, but I've known at least a couple of men who have this one very bad habit right around the holidays (or their birthday):

They go out and buy things for themselves.  Or, they may mention in passing that they plan to buy something for themselves.  Something that they may have also, in passing, mentioned to their wife or girlfriend that they might want.

You know how when you're having a fight with a woman, she seems to have this uncanny ability to remember tiny details of past conversations and bring them up?  Well, that superpower also can be used for good.  Like... remembering that you mentioned you wanted something months ago, and then getting it for you for your birthday or Christmas when you've completely forgotten even mentioning it.

This may not be true for all people, but I think most people like their gifts to be a surprise.  That's why we wrap them, after all, isn't it?

So, if you don't want to put someone in the awkward position of having to explain why you REALLY, REALLY shouldn't buy yourself that specific thing just before Christmas...

Just hold off for a few days.  Give it until December 26th, at least.

You might be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. She was having trouble posting this and asked me to give it a try:
    Hi,
    It's your mom's friend Dawn. I wanted to let you know that I recently
    spent most of a morning reading all your posts in reverse
    chronological order! Your mom had been telling me about your blog and
    what a great writer you are, but I didn't check it out. Maybe I
    subconsciously knew I'd get sucked in. :) Here I am, a lifelong
    student of Japanese, but I found your posts on learning Danish fun and
    fascinating. And the adventures of Wooster, and the colored pencil
    set, and on and on.
    At one point you modestly say that you just think something and write
    it down, but that's not something that everyone can do with such good
    results. So congratulations on your blog (and your awards!), and keep
    those posts coming!

    ReplyDelete