Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Watching Tragedy Unfold on Facebook

Social media is never more powerful than when something horrible happens.  To be able to watch people come together with the common cause of disseminating important information as quickly as possible and to as many people as possible, and to cut through the chaos to try to pass on the facts as they become available... It's heartwarming in the midst of tragedy.

I watched yesterday's news of the explosions at the Boston Marathon break on Facebook as it was happening by friends who live and work in the area, and it was almost impossible to wrap my head around it.

I lived in Boston and Cambridge for the 5 years before moving here to Copenhagen, and was lucky enough to work with some really fantastic radio producers and reporters.  Watching them spring into action from across an ocean to pass on as much information by as many social media networks as possible was truly impressive.

For all the criticism that people have for social media and how it can bring out the worst in people, yesterday was a perfect example of how it can also act as someone's only lifeline when disaster strikes and the phone lines are too jammed to check in on loved ones.

It makes me think about 12 years ago.  At 20-years-old, I was living in New York City and taking night classes.  On 9/11, my mother spent hours trying to call to make sure I was safe, but the phone lines were jammed.  It was after 11am when she was finally able to call.

A little peace of mind in the midst of tragedy can go a long way, and I was relieved to be able to check in on friends in the Boston area all the way from here in Denmark.

Everyone I know in Boston is safe.  I hope the same for you and your friends and family as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment