Friday, April 20, 2012

I Want to Go to There

I go back and forth between being seriously stressed about the move to Denmark, and being seriously excited.

Maybe it's the magic of a good night's sleep and a sunny day, but today I feel really positive about the whole thing.

I've gone through a few of the things that I'll miss when we move, but I thought I'd go through a few of the things I'm looking forward to.

1.  Home ownership - My fiance's spent much of the last year or so insisting that what's his is mine, and I've had a tough time really wrapping my head around it.  But I've finally started referring to the flat that he owns in Copenhagen as "our" flat.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty and making it feel like home.

2.  Change of scene - New England just isn't for me.  It never has been.  I've met wonderful people here, but it's never felt right.  I'm excited to find out if Denmark feels more right.

3.  Learning Danish - For real this time.  I've made some minor strides to learn it on my own, but once I'm a legal resident, I can start taking official Danish classes provided by the Danish government.  I'm looking forward to having some structure to my Danish lessons, and classes where everyone is at the same level as I am, so that I don't feel like I'm holding everyone back.

4.  Proximity to history - Europeans love to chuckle at us Americans for being so awed by anything that's older than 50 years old.  Eddie Izzard sums it up beautifully in this clip:


Last year, we stayed in Roskilde, Denmark for a couple of days, and I was amazed by Roskilde Cathedral.  Built in a 12th and 13th centuries, it houses the sarcophagi of hundreds of years of Danish royalty, and was just steps away.  It's one of the most breathtaking places I've seen.  And I look forward to seeing far more.

There is quite a bit more that I'm looking forward to, but now that I've started thinking about how beautiful Roskilde Cathedral is, I figure I'll end this post with a few photos from our visit there.




No comments:

Post a Comment