Monday, July 23, 2012

The Dansk Dash

With CPR number in hand, I can now take the first step towards my first formal Danish class.

Last week, I submitted an application for enrollment in the beginners' course at Studieskolen, which is the Danish school in Copenhagen that only accepts "Danish Education 3" students. "Danish Education 3" generally refers to those who are native English speakers and have had schooling beyond high school.  The courses at Studieskolen, from what I understand, are intensive and taught in English, so they only accept applicants who they think will be able to keep up.

I'm not sure if it's fortunate or unfortunate, but upon sending in my application I received an email from them stating that because I have taken a Danish in the past, I must come in for a placement test so that they can determine what level course they can place me in, if any.  I almost wish I hadn't mentioned my Danish course on the application, as it won't take them long to figure out that I'd need to be in the beginners' course.

The placement tests are usually given four times a week (in the afternoons on Mondays and Tuesdays, and in the mornings on Wednesdays and Thursdays).  However, since it's July and many people are on Summer break in Denmark, it seems they only do the tests twice a week.  Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the afternoon.  You cannot reserve a space at these tests.  You just have to show up and hope that there's space for you.

So, I'll try for Thursday's test and see how that goes.  If that doesn't work, I'll wait until next week.

I'm just hoping I am accepted and that there's enough space for me to start in the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. It's better to start NOT from Module 1, because Studieskolen is a popular school and that they don't usually have place for everyone in Module 1. I did placement test too and had to start from Module 3. Of course I missed out many "basic" lessons but I finished my Danish within 7 months, so it's better that way than "trapped" in language school for a LONG TIME

    ReplyDelete