Monday, August 13, 2012

Studieskolen - Module 1.1, Day 1 Recap


This morning, I started my first day at Studieskolen studying Danish for absolute beginners.  It seems that, like me, a few of the folks in the class may have tried to teach themselves with Rosetta Stone, or some other method.  For the most part, though, we're all right at the same level.

While the Danish class I took briefly while in Boston made my head spin, this class seems to be much more my speed.  About 10 minutes into the class, the teacher started speaking almost primarily Danish, but at a level that was easy enough to decipher based on the context.

Module 1.1 at Studieskolen focuses mostly on pronunciation, and only a little bit on the reading and writing of Danish.  Much of this first class was spent going through sentences and crossing out the many, many letters that are silent.

So far, I feel really good about the whole thing.  I feel like I've already learned a lot, but I don't feel so overwhelmed that I'm scared to go back tomorrow morning.  And the 3 1/2 hour class goes surprisingly quickly.

There's a really varied mix of people in the class as well.  It seems that only 3 of us are native English speakers (one other American, and one Brit), while the rest are from all over Europe, Asia and South America.

We'll see how many come back tomorrow.  There are 17 of us now, but I've been told it's fairly common for classes to shrink drastically after the first few days.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Ive been following your blog since a few days now and its pretty interesting how you've narrated the experiences so far.

    Im moving to denmark in the first week of September. I do have what you call 'fear of the unknown' primarily because of the brown skin that I have and secondly because of the totally new society i'll be moving to.

    Although Ive lived in Canada for over 7 years, I feel there is a fair amount of difference between living in North America and Western Europe.

    I'd definitely like to keep in touch with someone who is also experiencing Denmark as a totally new society.

    Take care

    Auzzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through ExpatBlog and I too just started danish classes today in Frederiksberg and it sounds like our classes went quite similar today!

    ReplyDelete