Monday, December 19, 2011

A "Business Casual" Christmas

As I think most of us were as kids, I was pretty unaware of class differences when I was young.  I grew up in a fairly affluent area, but I didn't really realize it until I left.  Moving to a town like Buffalo as an adult will give you a real sense of perspective.

That being said, we're a pretty casual family.  We dress up when appropriate, but I'd argue that we're generally a casual, jeans-wearing bunch.

And very few people are as casual as radio people.  The argument is that no one sees us anyway, so why dress up?  That's why we're often found not just in jeans, but often in sweatpants and hats.  I happen to be wearing that uniform right now, actually.

So, when we were headed to a small company Christmas party at the house of a coworker of my fiance's, and we were told dress was "casual," well I thought jeans and a sweater would be great.  Thought my sneakers wouldn't stand out at all.

Boy, was I wrong.

For this "casual" Christmas party, they'd hired someone to come play Christmas songs on the grand piano in their livingroom...

To be fair, I may be the only one who noticed the difference, but it seems that when wealthy folks say "casual," they really mean "business casual."  All of the women were in slacks and nice shoes and sweaters.  The men wore button-down shirts and slacks, and one was even wearing a matching jacket.

Everyone there was perfectly nice, but I've rarely felt so out of place.

Sing it with me now: "One of these things is not like the other."

No comments:

Post a Comment