Saturday, December 24, 2011

Obligatory Christmas Post

It's Christmas Eve, and we are at my parents' house for the weekend.

While my mother's side of the family did grow up Catholic, we aren't an especially religious family, so we celebrate more out of tradition than anything else.  We used to celebrate Hanukkah as well, since my father comes from a Jewish background, but that seemed to fall by the wayside when I was a teenager.

Let me paint a picture, if I may, of the scene right now:

My mother is in the dining room piping out little colored circles onto parchment paper.  Little circles that will soon be some seriously delicious French macaroons.  In the fridge is a roll of chocolate cake and delicious filling that will, tomorrow, become a realistic edible Yule log, complete with merengue  mushrooms and pistachio moss.

In the living room, my dad, my fiance and I are all sitting on the couches.

Each typing on our own separate Macbooks.

As far as Christmas traditions go, we don't have many.  What we generally do is open gifts in the morning on Christmas day, then drive down to my aunt's house.  Once there, we will drink Manhattans and eat until we can barely move.

As far as traditions go, it's not too shabby.

Merry Christmas, all.  And happy Hanukkah.

And a happy Festivus.  For the rest of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment