Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Danish Lessons - Rosetta Style

My Christmas gift has arrived in the form of a bright yellow box from Rosetta Stone.

So far, I've done most of the first lesson, and I'm feeling positive.  I suppose this is the whole point, but I feel like a child learning to speak for the first time with this program.  I haven't learned a whole lot so far, but the repetition and the visual aids with each phrase really do help.

What have I learned so far?  Phrases like "en dreng er under en bold," or "a boy is under a ball."  Where one would expect to find him, of course...

I know that I will never forget the word "flyvemaskine," or airplane.  

And, of course, "elefant."  If the prevalence of the word in my lessons so far is any indicator, I can only deduce that Scandinavia is made up of pachyderms, boys flying airplanes, and other boys hiding under beach balls.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby,
    I just discovered your blog today through the foreigners in denmark forum. I can relate to you a lot, I moved to Denmark about a year and a half ago and before that I did everything I could to learn the language. I even bought Rosetta Stone, I thought it was good, it can't really replace regular teaching as it doesn't really teach conversational danish but its great for learning heaps of vocabulary! Have you tried Colloquial Danish? It is the book that I found most useful when trying to learn.

    When I arrived in denmark and finally started classes at a 'sprogskole', I found that my danish reading skills were incrediably high and it has allowed me to go through the system quickly. I started basically a year ago and I'm on module 4!

    With all the work you are doing, you should be able to do the same. Just work hard and more importantly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an international student I can relate to this situation too. But I don't use any software, just local 'sprogskole' and some educational podcasts.
    You can improve your skills by meeting locals at the events in you town and etc. I know that's obvious but still. Us as expats always don't know what's happening around us. One thing that I find interesting besides MeetUp is Weclic http://www.facebook.com/weclic.net www.weclic.net for checking out events in the city and meeting cool people!

    ReplyDelete