Saturday, February 4, 2012

Logos, and Websites, and Legal, Oh My

I've spent the majority of this week going through the process of starting up my business.   So many little steps to complete before the whole thing is legal.

On Wednesday, I drove into Boston to have my first "business lunch" with a friend of mine who used to be a graphic designer (a little shout-out to his current business, Swamp Rabbit Books).  He'd offered to design a logo for me, so we met up to chat about what I wanted.  And I have to say, the guy works damn quickly.  Within an hour and a half of finishing lunch, he already had a design emailed to me.  And before the day was done we'd decided on the rough final design.

Thursday was website day.  I used to know some very basic HTML, but it's been so long, and my knowledge was so limited to begin with, that there's no way I could design a website.  Luckily, there are plenty of design tools for website newbs like me, and another friend pointed me towards one that was nice and simple (another shout-out to that friend at Audio Masons, who has been giving me tons of advice about starting a business).  There's a big learning curve for the whole process, and I spent all of Thursday tweeking the site.  It still needs some work, but I'll share it as soon as it's ready.

Then there's the process of making the business legal, getting it registered with the state.  Do I go with a "sole proprietorship" or a "limited liability company"?  I went with the former for now.

All in all, it's been a very productive week.  Sadly... I haven't even touched the Rosetta Stone.

Maybe I should do that right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment