Friday, March 16, 2012

Buried in Bureaucracy

Immigration is a bureaucratic nightmare.

Even if, like for me, the process is supposedly relatively simple.

Here's the latest:  Now that we've learned that we should qualify for family reunification under European Union law, as opposed to Danish law, my goal has been to find out as much information as I can about what the EU law is.  What paperwork I need to fill out, what documentation I need, and where and when it needs to be submitted.  So, I've sent out a few emails...

Email #1 - This was sent to the Danish Immigration Service.  In my mind, this was the most obvious place to start, as they are the most likely to have the correct information.  I emailed them a week ago, and have not heard back.  In fact, one expat told me that she once called them directly after not getting a response to emails, only to be told "Oh, we're not responding to emails anymore."

Email #2 - Since it seems that I may need to submit all of our paperwork before leaving for Denmark, I contacted the Danish embassy in New York City.  I explained the situation, and actually got a response the very same day.  Unfortunately, this was the response: "Here in the US we are not familiar with the EU regulations."  They then suggested I email the Danish Immigration Service (see email #1...)

Email #3 - Okay, so the Danish Immigration Service doesn't respond to emails, the Danish embassy in New York doesn't know the EU laws... Why not email the EU?  I hopped onto europa.eu yesterday and sent out an email asking if they happen to know what information I'll need.  No response yet, but that was just yesterday, so... more waiting.

Last night, my fiance also commented that the folks at the English embassy in Copenhagen are very friendly and helpful, so he's also planning to give them a call directly to see if they happen to have any thoughts on the matter.  I'm optimistic about that one.

I have to be, at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment