Friday, March 2, 2012

Danish Lessons - Rosetta Stone, Entry #5: The Binge

We've narrowed down our move date a little bit, and it's coming up quickly.

With our honeymoon in New Orleans scheduled for mid to late June, and my fiance due back by mid-August, it looks like we'll be heading to Copenhagen some time during that window.  Probably some time in July.

That's 4 months.  I have 4 months to learn Danish.

That realization hit me this week, and I went on a Rosetta Stone binge.  I've taken to sitting down with it for 1 or 2 hours each day.

The sad part?  I'm still only halfway through Unit 1....of 8.

I have a looonnnggg way to go.

It's starting to get a little bit more frustrating that Version 2 of Rosetta Stone doesn't explain any grammatical rules.  I definitely appreciate learning the vocabulary, and committing phrases to memory.  But I'm looking forward to taking the formal state-provided Danish classes once we move, so that I can start to get an understanding of why some words are pluralized one way, and others another way, etc.

I think if I can keep up the binge, I may be able to finish the program before we move.

If my head doesn't explode first.

2 comments:

  1. You'll be fine! I didn't learn ANY Danish beyond chapter one of "Teach Yourself Danish" and I'm almost fluent now.

    Bear in mind, it takes a few months for your mouth muscles to be able to make the Danish sounds, so don't lose heart.

    Copenhagen Cast is really good for learning spoken Danish
    There are excerpts of Danish grammar books on Google:-
    http://books.google.dk/books?id=HpVjlaMCLrQC&lpg=PP1&dq=danish%20grammar&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

    http://danskherognu.dk/Lektioner/Intro/Introinenglish/tabid/354/Default.aspx is pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! How long did it take you to learn the language?

    ReplyDelete