Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Time That I Walked Out

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from my mother.  The subject line said "You have to see this..."

In the email was this link.

You may have heard the story on the news or read about it in the New York Times, where it originally broke.  Or maybe you even saw it mentioned on The Daily Show.  Pictures from a Halloween party at a foreclosure law firm outside of Buffalo, NY where the employees are dressed up as homeless people and mocking people who are going through foreclosure. 

It was a horrifying story, but that wasn't the only reason I was sent that article. 

The truth is, I used to work at that law firm.  Back in 2003 and 2004, I worked in their reinstatement and payoff department.  For a while, I was able to convince myself that since I was ultimately working to help people bring their homes out of foreclosure, that I somehow wasn't as involved in ruining the lives of so many people.

But that lie only lasted so long.  In December of 2004, I walked out.

I've never once regretted it.

Now it turns out that banks all over New York are pulling their business from the firm, and the firm is issuing layoff notices and shutting down.

I don't wish ill on any of the people laid off, as it's tough enough to find work as it is, let alone in Buffalo these days.  And having that job on their resume isn't likely to do them any favors.

But at the same time, there is a level of justice in having it end the way that it did.

Sometimes, instead of helping you rise to the top, being horrible to people will ruin your career.

2 comments:

  1. that's horrible. mocking people who lost their homes? esp. since they caused it in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! It takes a tough cookie to make a smart decision like that. -Roseann : )

    ReplyDelete