Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Danish Language Learning Process

Last night, I went through the pronunciation guide and lesson #1 of Teach Yourself: Complete Danish for the 2nd time.

The good news is that I have about a year to learn the language.

Today, I thought I might explain my process. At the recommendation of my fiance, who is already fluent in Danish, I am going through each lesson at least twice before even trying to pronounce the words or do the exercises. Well... I'm trying. I still can't help but try to repeat what I'm hearing. Any fly on the wall listening to me would think I was insane.

Last night, a friend told me he'd never heard Danish spoken, so I sent him a youtube clip from "Forbrydelsen," the original version of the TV series "The Killing" which takes place in Copenhagen. His response? "It sounds like English. Backwards."

3 comments:

  1. Oi! Who is this fiance who is fluent in Danish?!?!

    You have some explaining to do, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't claim you're not, Mr. Modesty. :P At the very least, it sure seems like it from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby, if you have more than one fiance, you gotta share with the less fortunate!! :p

    ReplyDelete