Monday, September 26, 2011

The "Great" Bridal Expo: or How Not to Run a Bridal Show

Most brides-to-be bring their mothers or bridesmaids to these bridal shows.  Most shows are alright, especially if they serve drinks and have lots of cake vendors offering up samples.

As my mother and all of my bridesmaids live in other states, I asked my poor fiance if I could drag him along.  He wasn't excited about the prospect, but I would have been concerned if he had been.  He was a good sport though, which is always appreciated.

The "Great Bridal Expo" at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel started at noon on Sunday, but we arrived around one o'clock.  We entered through the lobby, and there was no sign of a bridal show at all.  Just hotel guests and employees milling about. 

And then we looked up...

On the balcony that surrounded the lobby was a line than snaked all the way around the place.  We tried to find either the beginning or the end of the line and couldn't seem to find it.

Frustrated and hungry, we went off to find some lunch.  A little food goes a long way to improve patience, so we decided to give it another shot after we'd eaten. 

This time, we went in through the back entrance, and there it was.  And... almost no line left at all.  I barely had time to fill out my registration form before we got to the check-in table.

As for the "expo" itself?  One small reception hall packed shoulder to shoulder with brides and bridesmaids and mothers (and even a few fiances), but almost no vendors worth more than a brief glance.  I think we spent less than 10 minutes circling the place.  A few tux shops, a few jewelry places, one bakery that didn't bring any cake (!!), and then a bunch of dentists and plastic surgeons (...for the bride who's just not good enough to get married yet?  Come on...).

Where were all the good vendors?

At the OTHER bridal show.  The one at Fenway.  The one I didn't even know about.

D'oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment