Sunday, September 11, 2011

I'll Have the Pre Cana with a Side of Turkey

It's official.  The Catholic church just certified me to get married in one of their parishes.  I'm as shocked as you are.

If you'd asked me a year ago if I'd be having a traditional wedding in a Catholic church, well I may have laughed at you.  Not because I was ever particularly against it, or the wedding traditions of any religion really... More that I would have laughed at the idea that a Catholic guy would marry me.  I'm not exactly churchy.

But there it is.

We spent the weekend at the Espousal Center in Waltham, MA doing their marriage prep weekend, as is required by the Catholic church where we're getting married next Spring.  It was actually a great experience, if you don't count my general awkwardness with all of the religions parts.  It was nice to have a specific list of topics to discuss.

I think the biggest thing that we learned  this weekend was that we actually know each other very well.  And we tend to either agree on most things or know where the other stands pretty clearly.  As my fiance said as we finished up our last discussion, "I guess this means we're ready to get married."

Truly, though, we are very lucky to have families that are completely supportive and that we're generally very open and honest with each other already.

We were wearing our smug faces for much of the time.

"But what about the turkeys?," I hear you asking.

Relax, I'm getting to that.

There were turkeys.  Out of nowhere.  Wandering around in the parking lot and the lawn.  At least half a dozen of them, happily gobbling away and chasing each other around while we were outside filling out our questionnaires.

Gotta love random turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment