Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Now...This is a story all about how...

Who starts a blog title with Fresh Prince lyrics but doesn't finish them?

This chick.

Anyway, I figure a bit of background is in order. So, I'll get you up to speed on some recent history:

In the Fall of 2008, right in the midst of the recession, my company basically gave me an ultimatum. Move to Boston (where, after one miserable semester of college, I ran screaming and swore I'd never go back) and keep my job, or stay in the already economically depressed city where I was... without a job. I grudgingly went with the former.

The next two years were some of my worst. With two cancer diagnoses in the family, one of which took me to a funeral on my birthday, a tumor of my own (thankfully benign) followed by surgery, plus the advance of the recession leading to pay cuts at work... twice, and all topped off with the death of a beloved family pet... 2009 could have been better.

While recovering from surgery that year, my oldest friend came to visit for a few days. The girl is always putting ideas in my head. I mentioned wanting to travel some day, and she insisted that I somehow move overseas. She made it sound so simple! I could just go! I seriously considered it while she was there, and then promptly lost all faith that I could make it happen.

2010 was a small improvement, but still riddled with heartbreak and frustration and that feeling that had been eating at me that I just wasn't... home.

In the Fall of 2010, a charming Englishman came into my life. The first time I met him, I thought, "I don't know if he's flirting, or just English..." In America on a two-year contract with his Denmark-based company. And what did he want? He wanted nothing more than to bring me with him when he moved back to Europe.

In April of 2011, he proposed on bended knee. In May of 2012, we'll be married.

I won't lie, I sometimes feel like my life has become an embarrassment of riches. But I am looking forward to the adventures to come.

At some point karma changed its mind about me, and I am okay with that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby, this nice story gives hope when you stuck in a crisis like me at the moment....
    I thank you for telling this personal story in your blog.
    I found your blog as I searched for people that moved to Denmark - and I like your blog very much.
    I hope you will go on with telling all about your experiences you made/make in this lovely country. I am from Germany and I would love it (perhaps) to move one day to Denmark...

    Best wishes
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanja! There's a fairly large German community here in Copenhagen. If you find yourself in a situation where you can move here, I recommend it. Even if just for a little while. I really like it here so far.

      Best of luck!

      Delete